- Other Apps
I've talked about my love of biscuits and gravy before, and while my standard recipe is a great recipe, I recently surpassed it's greatness. I mean, just look at it!
It just looks delicious, doesn't it? So, how is it made? Read on.
The Best Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
2-3 vegan sausage patties, cut up into small chunks (recipe here)
4 c. unsweetened, unflavored almond milk (any vegan version will work, just make sure it's unsweetened and unflavored)
3 T. coconut oil
1/3 c. unbleached flour
2 t. smoked paprika
1-2 t. salt
2 t. pepper
vegan biscuits (I use a recipe like this but sub 1/3 c. coconut oil for the shortening and sub vegan milk for regular milk)
1. You can make the biscuits ahead of time, or make them now. When you put them in the oven, prepare your gravy.
2. Warm the coconut oil over nearly-high heat in a large frying pan or a dutch oven. When it's liquefied and rippling, add the flour and whisk until incorporated.
3. Immediately add the milk, a half cup at a time, whisking continuously to prevent lumps. Keep adding the milk until all of it is incorporated.
4. When the gravy has thickened, turn the heat down to medium. Add the seasonings and sausage chunks.
5. Stir well, then turn the heat down to low until biscuits are done. If already done, move to step 6.
6. Ladle this thick, rich gravy over your biscuits, and sprinkle with some extra paprika.
*The sausage patties can be made well ahead of time. If I'm making the sausage to use in recipes like this (or for pizza topping), I press the sausage mixture into a greased pie tin and bake at 350 until cooked through. This is easier than making a bunch of patties when you need sausage for recipes instead.
* The biscuits can also be made ahead of time and stored at room temperature. You can also store them in the fridge, just make sure you warm them up first!
*Salt and pepper your gravy to taste. You can also add other seasonings, but I find simple is best for a recipe like this and stick to these three.