- Other Apps
One of my favorite dishes from way back in my omni days was biscuits and gravy. I've gone through a few trials and errors trying to get my vegan version to taste as good as the original, and I've succeeded!
Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
Baking Powder Biscuits:
1. Sift together 2 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 5 teaspoons of baking powder.
2. Cut in 5 tablespoons of refined coconut oil.
3. Add 2/3 cup of unsweetened cashew milk (any unsweetened vegan milk would work fine) and mix together until it just comes together.
4. Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead for only a minute.
5. Roll out and cut to desired size/shape.
6. Bake at 450 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned on the outside.
1/4 c. refined coconut oil (unrefined works well also)
1/3 c. flour
1 1/2 - 2 c. unsweetened vegan milk*
1 t. salt
2 t. pepper
1 T. steak seasoning (any kind is fine)
3 T. nooch (nutritional yeast)
1/2 - 2/3 c. TVP sausage crumbles - recipe here
Melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a frying pan with high sides or a sauce pan. When the oil is melted add the flour immediately and whisk until smooth. As soon as it starts to bubble add the milk and whisk to incorporate. Add the seasonings and nooch, as whisk continuously, but lightly, until it thickens. When it's the desired thickness, remove from heat so it doesn't burn. Add the sausage crumbles and stir to incorporate.** Serve with the biscuits.
*You can use any vegan milk, that's fine. Start with the 1 1/2 cups and then add as much as desired after that to achieve the desired consistency. You can add more than 2 cups if preferred or less. This is just a ballpark estimate based on my own preferences. You can always start with 1 c. of milk as well and work your way up. It's better to start with less and go up than start with too much and try and figure out how to get it thicker without adding lumps! ;)
**Do NOT add the TVP until the gravy is done and off the heat, even if the crumbles are cold. The gravy will warm them right up! Otherwise, the tvp will enlarge and lose it's form, and we don't want that!