Recipe of the Week: Blueberry-Bran Muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray muffin tins. Need enough to make 12.
2. Mix the vegan buttermilk and wheat bran together, set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat together the oil, bananas, sugars, vanilla, and lemon extract on medium speed until well-incorporated.
4. Add the buttermilk-wheat bran mixture and beat again until mixed well.
5. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Add to the wet ingredients, mixing with a mixing spoon just until mixed.
6. Fold in the blueberries.
7. Fill greased muffin tins to the top rims, like the picture above.
8. Put the muffin tins on the center rack in the preheated oven, and bake for 35 minutes.
9. Let cool for ten minutes, then turn out upside down so the bottoms cool. Arrange on a plate and serve with coffee, or your drink of choice.
*Vegan buttermilk is easily made by mixing 1 tablespoon of lemon juice per one cup of vegan milk (I prefer unsweetened/unflavored almond milk) and letting sit for 10 minutes.
***Any flour would work here, just be mindful of the density of the flour you're working with. I avoid regular white flour because it's devoid of any nutrients really.
****I used ground ginger, but I always keep ginger root in my freezer. Ginger root would be a wonderful sub for the ground.
As a side note, the muffins really rose up over the top giving many of them weird "muffin tops". If you want your muffins to look more aesthetically pleasing, fill the muffin tins about 1/2 full and use more muffin tins. I suspect you could make 3-5 more muffins.