The Renaissance Faire at Sleepy Hollow
Oh, how I love renaissance faires! Ever since I attended my first one, I've been thoroughly infatuated. I can remember it well, I was in my mid-20s and I went with one of my childhood friends and her then-boyfriend to the Minnesota Renaissance Faire. I got insulted by the ticket taker; I was blown away by the costumes; the entertainment was fun and exciting; I got goosebumps when festival-goers cheered at the joust and the sound traveled across the faire; and I was enthralled by the various sights and sounds. To this day, I still have those overwhelming emotions whenever I go to a ren faire, so I make sure to attend at least one every year.
Over the years, I've managed to make it to different places and different kinds of ren faires, including:
1. The Minnesota Renaissance Festival, Minneapolis, MN.
2. The Kansas City Renaissance Festival, Bonner Springs, KS.
3. Renaissance Faire of the Midlands, Council Bluffs, IA.
4. The Nebraska Renaissance Festival, Bellevue, NE. (now known as the Renaissance Festival of Nebraska.
5. Ren Faire After Dark, Des Moines, IA. (This was an adult Ren Faire. No one under 21 years old was allowed in and picture-taking was forbidden. It was a lot of fun!)
But, this year we went to a new one: Renaissance Faire at Sleepy Hollow. While we had never been to this Ren Faire in Des Moines, IA, the Ren Faire After Dark was held at the same location so we have been to the grounds before.