Recipe of the Week: BBQ Cauliflower
|BBQ Cauliflower over basmati rice with a side of miso-roasted brussel sprouts.|
2 T. coconut oil
2 c. veggie stock
1 c. basmati rice
1. Bring the veggie stock to a boil in a saucepan.
2. Add the rice and bring to a boil again. Turn it down to medium heat, cover, and cook for approx. 15 minutes.
3. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan until the oil ripples.
4. Add cauliflower florets and turn to coat in oil. Stir regularly while keeping an eye on it. You're just looking to lightly brown the cauli.
5. Turn heat down to medium and add BBQ sauce. Start with 2 cups, but add more if needed. Stir to coat evenly, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until tender.
Put a bed of rice down on a plate, then add the cauli. Spoon a bit of the sauce over the entire thing. Garnish with chives. I like to serve a side of roasted or sauteed veggies with this, preferably a green one. Broccoli, green beans, snap peas, brussel sprouts, zucchini, or anything like that would be perfect.
*You can use any kind of oil you prefer, but coconut oil really gives it that "something" in the flavor department.
*You can use any kind of BBQ sauce as well, but a smokey-sweet one is my preference.
*You can easily increase the size of your meal by adding another head of cauli and more bbq sauce. In this case, you would want to fry the cauli in batches, and then add them all together for the sauce.
*You can reduce the amount of oil you use as well, to 1 T., but I think 2 works best.