Recipe of the Week: Crazy Cacao Cupcakes with Cocoa Butter Frosting
|The Crazy Cupcakes before frosting.|
|Sorry, this is my best picture of the frosted cupcakes and it still looks terrible. Imagine their deliciousness instead.|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix all your dry ingredients for the cupcakes. Then, make three wells in the dry mixture.
3. In each well, you'll put in a different liquid: vinegar, vanilla, and oil.
4. Pour the water over the entire thing and mix well.
5. Distribute evenly between 12 greased muffin tins. You can use or skip muffin liners.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. While the cupcakes are cooling, make your frosting by adding all the ingredients to a bowl and mixing with a mixer - or with a whisk and some elbow grease - until smooth. If the cocoa butter is hard, warm it in a small saucepan over the lowest heat setting until it's just soft enough to be room temperature.
8. Frost your cupcakes and enjoy!
* You can use regular cocoa powder if you want, just up the amount by a tablespoon.
** I use apple cider vinegar in this recipe all the time and it works perfectly fine, but white vinegar is the recommended vinegar for this recipe.
*** Scant just means "not quite" so you're looking to short this amount by about a tablespoon. You can use vegan butter substitute if you prefer, just make sure it's room temperature.
Lastly, if you don't feel like making frosting, many store-bought varieties are accidentally vegan. Also, you can just dust them with some powdered sugar. It's going to be delicious whichever you choose.